Digital Access

Digital Access
Access daily-chronicle.com and all Shaw Media Illinois content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more!

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.
Local

Sycamore Fire Department awarded federal grant for replacement of breathing apparatus

SYCAMORE – The Sycamore Fire Department was awarded a $218,534 federal grant for the replacement of the Department’s self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) through the Department of Homeland Security’s Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) program.

The AFG program is administered by the Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency in cooperation with the U.S. Fire Administration.

The grant award of $218,534 covers approximately 65% of the total estimated cost, $338,116, of the replacement of 31 self-contained breathing apparatus. The City of Sycamore is responsible for the remaining 35% of the cost of the project, which will be approximately $119,581.

In a press release, the Sycamore Fire Department said that they are “excited to receive this award and the grant award will be a big help in securing vital personal protective equipment for our personnel.”

“Our existing self-contained breathing apparatus are nearing the end of their service life and the newer self-contained breathing apparatus are lighter weight, have a more comfortable back pack frame, have increased air capacity and are better designed with newer technology,” the press release stated. “We believe our firefighter safety will be greatly enhanced when firefighters are required to enter Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health (IDLH) atmospheres.”

Loading more