CHICAGO – Earlier this month, general manager Rick Hahn was asked about the rumored reports regarding the White Sox’s pursuit of free agents Manny Machado and Bryce Harper.
“From a club perspective, quite frankly, it’s frustrating,” Hahn said. “There’s a lot of misinformation out there. There’s been reports of offers or non-offers, being in, being out, that under the rules we’re not allowed to respond to, so you just have to let those things play out.
“I realize it’s part of the business, but especially when you’re talking about negotiations, which are understandably and purposefully confidential and not something that we conduct through the media, the amount of rumors out there can get frustrating.”
Dan Lozano, Machado’s agent, unloaded Wednesday on two national baseball reporters – USA Today’s Bob Nightengale and ESPN’s Buster Olney. Both reported the Sox offered Machado a seven-year, $175 million contract.
“I have known Bob Nightengale and Buster Olney for many years and have always had a good professional relationship with both,” Lozano said in a statement. “But their recent reporting, like many other rumors in the past several months, have been inaccurate and reckless when it comes to Manny Machado. I don’t know if their sources are blatantly violating the Collective Bargaining Agreement by intentionally misleading them to try and affect negotiations through the public or are just flat-out lying to them for other reasons. But the truth is that their reports on the details of the White Sox’s level of interest in Manny are completely wrong.
“I am well aware that the entire baseball universe – fans, players, teams, and media members alike – are starved for information about this free-agent market for all players, including Manny. But I am not going to continue to watch the press be manipulated into tampering with, not just with my client, but all of these players’ livelihoods as they have been doing this entire offseason.”