DeKalb – Two families were displaced by a kitchen fire in the Hunter Ridgebrook apartment complex Monday at 835 Edgebrook Drive.
The DeKalb Fire Department responded to the fire, which started on the stove of a ground-floor apartment, about 9 p.m., Fire Chief Eric Hicks said.
Hicks said the fire was put out by the on-site sprinkler system by the time firefighters arrived – six minutes after the call came in.
He said the fire is not being considered malicious and is being treated as accidental.
“It was a pretty good-sized stove fire,” Hicks said, adding that it was confined to the apartment.
Extensive water damage from the sprinklers coupled with fire damage was enough to displace two families, although no injuries were reported. The second family was displaced from the unit below because of water damage from the sprinkler system.
The Hunter Ridgebrook property manager helped the families out with a place to stay, Hicks said. He estimated the damage at $20,000.
The city’s building and code compliance division is checking with the property owner to ensure repairs are being addressed, Hicks said.
The Sycamore, Cortland, Malta, Shabbona, Maple Park, and Genoa-Kingston fire departments assisted.