Digital Access

Digital Access
Access and all Shaw Media Illinois content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more!

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.
Crime & Courts

Chicago man gets 30 years in Sycamore 7-Eleven armed robbery

Other two accused men still awaiting sentencing

SYCAMORE – The first of three men to go to trial in the July 2017 armed robbery of the Sycamore 7-Eleven will spend at least the next 16 years in prison.

DeAngelo D. Bryant, 22, of the
1100 block of West 10th Street in Chicago, was sentenced Tuesday afternoon to 30 years in prison by DeKalb County Judge William Brady. Bryant got 24 years for armed robbery, 12 years of which he must serve, and six years for aggravated battery with a firearm, which he must serve at 85 percent.

That comes out to be a little more than five years, and Bryant has been credited with spending the past
409 days in the county jail. When he gets out of prison, he’ll also be on parole for four years.

Brady found Bryant guilty on June 14, and State’s Attorney Rick Amato said the sentencing was a daylong endeavor. He said in arguing for as stiff a penalty as possible, he and Assistant State’s Attorney Suzanne Collins re-emphasized Bryant’s criminal history, the injuries the clerk suffered when he was shot twice July 24, 2017, at the convenience store at 404 W. State St., and the importance of keeping the community safe.

Bryant took the stand during his three-day June trial and claimed to be the impromptu, dumbfounded getaway driver for Terrance E. Storey, 28, of the 300 block of West 100th Street, and Tevin T. Woods, 27, of the 6000 block of South Ellis Avenue, Chicago. He said he didn’t see the gun until just before the crash in Elmhurst happened hours later. He said he ran away from police after the crash because he saw the gun on Storey’s lap and because there was marijuana in the car.

The 7-Eleven clerk, Raymundo Cortes, also testified June 13 that
he was shot twice in the lower body during a struggle between him, Storey and Woods.

Amato has said Bryant admitted to being the driver in the robbery at the Sycamore store and of a BP station in Carol Stream later that night.

Woods and Bryant were arrested shortly after 1:30 a.m. July 25 after a single-vehicle crash near North and Indiana avenues in Elmhurst, according to court records. Storey was arrested after Elmhurst police found him later that morning under a resident’s outdoor deck. The three men have been held without bond in DeKalb County jail since their arrests.

Woods and Storey have yet to stand trial. If convicted, Woods could face 21 to 45 years in prison; Storey, who police said admitted he fired the gun twice to scare the clerk, could face 31 years to life in prison.

A motion for a new trial by Bryant’s lawyer, Bob Nolan, was also denied Tuesday.

Loading more