DeKALB – A small fire that broke out Sunday in one of the buildings of DeKalb Forge Co., 1832 Pleasant St., is estimated to have caused $10,000 in damage, according to a news release from the DeKalb Fire Department.
Emergency crews were dispatched to the business about noon Sunday. When they arrived, they discovered fire coming from a gas meter connected to the building with multiple propane cylinders stored nearby.
Firefighters had to force entry through a secured fence to extinguish the flames and cool down the propane tanks.
Assisting agencies included the Sycamore, Cortland, Maple Park, Malta, Shabbona and Burlington fire departments, in addition to Nicor and ComEd. Crews remained on scene for about four hours, the release said.
The cause of the fire is yet to be determined, but the release said it was being fueled by a gas leak at the meter.