How good is your knowledge of sponge bacteria facts? Sure, at some point or another, you’ve probably been told that your kitchen sponge is the filthiest item in your house. And it makes sense – not only is your sponge moist, making it easier for disease-causing bacteria to grow, it’s also covered in food particles. Essentially, you’re giving the bacteria everything they need to thrive.
So what do you do? Familiarize yourself with the following clean dish sponge do’s and don’ts so that you can possibly decrease your chances of spreading foodborne pathogens to your friends and family.
Do use a microfiber sponge.
Choose microfiber sponges. The composition of the material lends itself to drying quickly. That means it won’t stay damp after use; resulting in less time bacteria may have to grow.
Pro tip: Microfiber sponges are easy to find either online or in your local grocery store. They’re also not that expensive.
Do clean your sponges daily.
A clean dish sponge decreases your odds of spreading bacteria around your kitchen. Microwaving is one of the most effective methods of cleaning sponges.. Simply place a completely wet sponge in the microwave for one to two minutes, keeping an eye on it while the microwave’s on. Give it time to cool before removing it.
Do rinse and dry before storing.
Take steps to hinder the progress of bacteria growth by rinsing the sponge and wringing out as much water as possible. Then store it in an area where it can dry completely not in the bottom of your sink.
Don’t keep sponges too long.
If your sponge starts to smell toss it! Most cellulose sponges with daily cleaning last about 2 weeks while a microfiber sponge might last as long as a month..
Kitchen Sponges Maid Easy with Merry Maids.