Carving a Jack-o’-lantern is a great way to get into the Halloween spirit. There’s something exciting about it- especially if there is a way to keep it grinning or grimacing longer.
If you want to keep your pumpkin free of mold for more than a day or two, you’ll need to assemble the following pumpkin preservation tools:
A five-gallon bucket
A measuring teaspoon
A spray bottle
Your Jack-o’-lantern, of course
Before you get started, remove all those slimy pumpkin strings from both the inside of the pumpkin and the top.
Here’s how to preserve a carved pumpkin:
Rinse the inside, outside and top of your pumpkin with water.
Pour three gallons of water into bucket.
With gloves on, measure and add 3 tsp of bleach to the water.
Gently place your pumpkin and cap in bleach solution. Interesting fact: The pumpkin will float, so lightly dip it down under the surface so every inch of it gets coated with the bleach. Do this for min. two minutes.
Carefully take the pumpkin out of the bleach water and set it on paper towels to dry.
Fill spray bottle with some of the remaining bleach and water mixture and label. Dispose of the bleach solution by pouring it down the drain, and toss out your gloves.
How does pumpkin preservation with bleach work?
The bleach solution will slow down the rate mold grows. To help more mist you’re Jack-o’-lantern—inside and out—with the mixture in your spray bottle every two days. Keep in mind that while this preservation method can prolong the life of your Jack-o’-lantern it doesn’t make them last forever.
Pumpkin Preservation Maid Easy with this tip from Merry Maids!