Bleach is an inexpensive cleaner that kills germs but it does have its downsides. Take a look at some of the reasons you might want to opt-out of using bleach.
Bleach and Countertop Surfaces
Bleach is a strong/abrasive cleaner - it doesn’t play well with most kitchen countertops made of stone like concrete or granite. Some are protected but if you don’t realize it has been compromised, the bleach may damage the countertop. Laminate countertops are hardy but bleach may cause permanent discoloration.
Household bleach can irritate your eyes, mouth, lungs and skin. People with respiratory problems may be more prone to irritation.
If You Must Clean With Bleach
Make sure you do it properly. Here are steps that you should follow:
Step 1. Before you do anything, check with the manufacturer. You’ll find that for most types of counters, cleaning recommendations specifically call for non-bleach products. If you decide to clean a countertop with bleach without checking the instructions, remember you do so at the risk of permanently damaging your countertop.
Step 2. If the manufacturer gives you the OK, you’ll still want to do a spot test on a small, unnoticeable area of the countertop.
Step 3. When combined, certain household products can create extremely dangerous gases. So if you’ve recently used other cleaners; vinegar or ammonia, you should not use bleach. You can seriously injure yourself!
Step 4. When working with bleach, make certain your room is well ventilated. Wear gloves, protective eye gear and keep your skin covered.
Step 5. Follow the storage instructions on the bleach container.
While bleach is great for killing germs, it may not be the best way to clean. Merry Maids has plenty of advice for cleaning your kitchen countertop.