SYCAMORE – One of Carlos Botello’s alleged victims, a young girl, told a forensic interviewer at the DeKalb County Children’s Advocacy Center that she “saw a lot of nasty stuff that I don’t want to talk about but I have to.”
Video and audio of the girl’s Jan. 3, 2017, interview with Donna Moulton – who interviewed both girls who allege Botello forced them to perform sexual acts on him and touched them inappropriately – was shown to a DeKalb County jury Wednesday. It was Day 2 of Botello’s trial as he faces charges of predatory criminal sexual assault involving two minors younger than
“He forced me to take [my clothes] off or he would tell a lie that I said two bad words,” the girl said in the 2017 recording.
Carlos A. Botello, 27, who faces charges of predatory criminal sexual assault, and aggravated criminal sexual abuse of a child, was in court Wednesday for the second day of testimony in his trial.
Those involved in interviewing the alleged victims in 2017 took the stand to provide testimony Wednesday: including Moulton, former director of the DeKalb County Community Action program who now works as CEO of a community action program in Washington. DeKalb County Sheriff’s detective Josh Duehning and forensic doctor Raymond Davis, who conducted a physical examination of both girls, also testified.
While Duehning was on the stand, prosecutors played video of his interview with Botello Jan. 3, 2017. Duehning asked Botello if police could review his phone for evidence. Botello said yes but had warned there would be some pornography on it.
Duehning testified Wednesday that police discovered an internet search was done on Botello’s phone for pornography involving characters from the Disney movie “Frozen.” One of the girls told Moulton that Botello showed her pornography with “Frozen” characters Ana and Elsa.
During Wednesday’s proceedings, Botello watched the videos when they were shown but did not speak except to confer with his lawyers.
When Davis took the stand, prosecutors and defense attorney Gregory Walker asked the doctor to describe in detail what type of sexual abuse likely would leave physical evidence on a child’s body.
Davis said that although his physical examination of both girls came back normal, meaning there was no physical evidence of abuse or assault, that doesn’t mean sexual abuse or assault can be ruled out. He said 95% of examinations in similar cases do not reveal signs of trauma or abuse.
“Overall, there was no physical evidence that child abuse had occurred,” Walker said.
“They were definitely showing signs of trauma,” Davis said. “Their sleep pattern had been off during the holidays.”
Davis also said it would be unlikely the girls’ bodies would have physical signs of abuse during their Jan. 3, 2017, examination because the last known incident was alleged to have occurred Dec. 24, 2016.
Botello was charged in January 2017 after an investigation by DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office. Botello is accused of inappropriate contact with the children on multiple occasions between October 2016 and Dec. 24, 2016, records show.
The trial resumes at 10:30 a.m. Thursday in front of DeKalb County Circuit Court Judge Phillip Montgomery, with Moulton again expected to take the stand.