Digital Access

Digital Access
Access daily-chronicle.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more!

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.
Crime & Courts

Aggravated battery case is scheduled for January

Sycamore man accused of injuring DeKalb man behind downtown bar

Anthony J. Sosin, 33, of Sycamore
Anthony J. Sosin, 33, of Sycamore

SYCAMORE – The trial of a DeKalb man accused of slashing a man’s throat outside a downtown bar in February 2017 has been pushed back four months.

Anthony J. Sosin, 33, of the 800 block of Stevens Avenue in Sycamore, has been free on $1,000 bail since early 2017, shortly after he was arrested on a warrant for aggravated battery. If convicted, he could face two to five years in prison.

Sosin originally was slated to go to trial Aug. 8, but his lawyer, Robert Nolan, said he wasn’t prepared to defend his client. The case now is set to go to trial Jan. 7, with a final jury setting Jan. 3. Before that, the case will have a status hearing at 9 a.m. Nov. 15.

Police reports acquired through a Freedom of Information Act request show that during a birthday party the night of Feb. 3, 2017, and the morning of Feb. 4 at a bar in the 200 block of East Lincoln Highway, witnesses said men exchanged racial slurs with Jo-An Galindo, 38, of the 400 block of Lucerne Avenue in DeKalb, and were kicked out of the bar before eventually fighting in the court behind the bar.

The reports said Galindo had to be transferred from Kishwaukee Hospital to the intensive care unit at OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center in Rockford because of the severity of about five knife wounds, according to the report.

Sosin, whose hand was bandaged when police spoke with him, according to the reports, eventually admitted to wielding a small folding knife, and said he was swinging it during the fight because his shirt had been pulled over his head.

The reports said all the men fled the scene before police arrived, and that after a warrant was issued Feb. 21, 2017, for Sosin’s arrest, he turned himself in Feb. 22 and posted $1,000 bail.

During an April 26, 2018, hearing, Judge Philip Montgomery said he’d expected the state to have an offer in place for Sosin, but prosecutors asked for more time. As of Monday morning, no formal offer has been made.

Sosin has no previous criminal convictions. Court records show Galindo has been convicted of multiple misdemeanors in the past 15 years, and was convicted May 11 of a felony criminal trespass to property stemming from a January 2015 incident and sentenced to two years in the Swift, Certain and Fair probation program.

Loading more