With Mother Nature having made good on her promise, dumping about half a foot on DeKalb County overnight, schools are out as expected, and thus extracurricular activities are off, too.
Here are a few more closings and updates on previously announced closings:
• The Voluntary Action Center is closed. The agency said in a news release that because Kishwaukee College classes are canceled Friday, its Red Line service will be canceled, but the Green and Blue lines are still in service. MedVac, Senior Luncheon sites, TransVac services and Meals on Wheels deliveries are canceled throughout the service area – not just in rural areas.
• Northwestern Medicine announced these programs and offices will be closed Friday: the cardiac rehab and sleep labs at Kishwaukee and Valley West hospitals, the KishHealth Physician Groups in Sycamore, Genoa and Rochelle, and its urology office in Sandwich. A news release indicates that the Convenient Care center in Sycamore will be open.
• The DeKalb Public Library is closed, but the Sycamore Public Library is open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Family Service Agency and all four if its senior center locations will be closed.
• The Sycamore Park District offices will first open at 11 a.m.
For those wondering whether the DeKalb County Courthouse will be open, it is. Nearby courthouses such as the Lee County building in Dixon are closed today, but the Sycamore courthouse is open for business.
The Sycamore and DeKalb police departments are reminding residents that parking is prohibited on city streets and in city lots when there is more than 2 inches of snow. This remains in effect for 24 hours after the snow reaches this height.
The DeKalb Fire Department is also asking residents to keep fire hydrants accessible by clearing snow around them. Snow should not be piled near fire hydrants when clearing a driveway or sidewalk.
Stay tuned to this story for more cancellations as they come in.