KINGSTON – Firefighters rotated to stay warm in subzero temperatures while battling a blaze that ignited in a chimney this morning in a two-story house at 30595 Hunter Road.
Genoa-Kingston Deputy Fire Chief Ryan Stoffregen said his department responded to a call at 10:07 a.m., and that the only man in the house got out safely. Smoke continued to billow from the second floor of the house after 11 a.m. Stoffregen said the fire spread from the chimney to the attic.
Traffic moved very slowly through the staging area at Hunter and Base Line roads, about two-thirds of a mile south of the house, until the fire was put out just after noon.
The Sycamore, DeKalb, Maple Park, Cortland and Kirkland departments all assisted at the scene.
Many firefighters who helped tame another blaze, at Cutters Family Hair Care, 225 W. Main St., Genoa, were back in action just hours after the first fire.
Fighting fires when the wind chill is 30 below is harrowing.
“We’re just trying to rotate our guys through and keep them warm,” Stoffregen said.