Digital Access

Digital Access
Access daily-chronicle.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more!

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.
Local

Fire 'guts' part of Keslinger Road house, leaves it uninhabitable

Christopher Heimerman – cheimerman@shawmedia.com
Melted siding, particle board and insulation are seen at the southwest corner of the house at 8455 Keslinger Road in DeKalb, where a brush fire spread and left the house uninhabitable.
Christopher Heimerman – cheimerman@shawmedia.com Melted siding, particle board and insulation are seen at the southwest corner of the house at 8455 Keslinger Road in DeKalb, where a brush fire spread and left the house uninhabitable.

DeKALB – A spark from a pellet stove started a grass fire that spread overnight to a house in the 8400 block of Keslinger Road and left it uninhabitable, according to a news release from the DeKalb Fire Department.

The department was called at 3:38 a.m. Monday to 8455 Keslinger Road, where it took about half an hour to control the fire that was consuming the southwest corner of the two-story house, according to Deputy DeKalb Fire Chief Jim Zarek. Because of the significant winds, firefighters kept watch for hours to make sure no hot spots ignite.

Two residents and their dog and cat got out safely, although a firefighter was hurt while checking into the extent of the damage, the release says, adding that the fire caused $130,000 in damage.

Melted siding, insulation and particle board could be seen Monday morning along the west side of the house; the far-west room in the house is a spare bedroom, Zarek said.

"It's been completely gutted by the fire, and the rest of the house took extensive fire and heat damage," he said.

​Zarek said the residents were assisted by the American Red Cross.

The Shabbona and Maple Park fire departments assisted.

Loading more