Digital Access

Digital Access
Access daily-chronicle.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more!

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.
Crime & Courts

DeKalb man charged with multiple violent offenses asks to be jailed

Defendant makes request in response to state's motions to increase bond, reveal source of funds

Christian Contreras, 20, of DeKalb
Christian Contreras, 20, of DeKalb

SYCAMORE – A 20-year-old DeKalb man whose family has posted more than $150,000 for him to be free on multiple violent offenses is in jail and seemingly awaiting trial.

Most recently, Christian Contreras, of the 200 block of Maplewood Avenue, posted $10,000 bail Sept. 1 to be released on charges of aggravated assault, mob action and carrying a knife with intent to use it in connection with the Aug. 28 beating of a man, court records show.

Last week, prosecutors filed two motions: one to increase his bond, and another asking for a judge to order the family to disclose the source of the money they’d posted “to prevent the defendant from engaging in illegal activities to obtain funds,” as the motion reads.

The motions were to be ruled on Sept. 14, but Contreras instead asked that he get the $10,000 bail back, according to Assistant State’s Attorney David Belshan. Belshan said Contreras then was taken into custody, and his bond was restored to a grand total of $1,100,000.

Contreras’ lawyer, Isuf Kola, could not be reached for comment.

Contreras’ parents posted $101,000 Sept. 14, 2016, for their son to be released from jail on an aggravated battery charge after police said he beat a minor with a baseball bat in July 2016, according to the records. At that time, according to a previous Daily Chronicle report, Contreras was free on $50,000 bail in connection with the shooting of two men in DeKalb’s Pleasant Street neighborhood in February 2016.

Thirteen days before posting the $101,000, his family filed a motion to reduce the bond Sept. 1, 2016, saying, “the family is of limited means and simply cannot afford the current bond,” court records show.

Contreras was sentenced in January 2015 to 180 days in jail for a 2014 attack in which a man was punched and beaten with a tire iron, court records show. Terms of his two years of probation included that he have no contact with street gang members or use illicit mood-altering substances or commit any other crimes, records show.

Contreras is due back in court Sept. 28, and Belshan said that after a motion hearing on one of his cases slated for Nov. 2, a trial date could be set.

Loading more