To the Editor:
I am mayor of DeKalb and a candidate for re-election. I chose to run in 2013. By stepping into leadership with my proven leadership and cooperative style, I have brought many benefits to residents of this community.
My leadership has transformed city government. Among the accomplishments of my administration are:
• Increased transparency of public information – A new and updated website and use of social media have provided ready access to public information. A bimonthly city newsletter has begun this month. Citizens can register on the city’s website to receive the newsletter.
• Improved financial reporting – A popular annual financial report and a comprehensive annual financial report have both received awards for thorough, clear content, as has the city budget document. Joint meetings with Finance Advisory Commission give oversight to the financial planning.
• Appointments of volunteers from all segments of the community – Minority leadership is empowered through service to the city – e.g. Economic Development Commission, Human Relations, Planning and Zoning Commission, library board.
• Addressed deteriorating property that lacked maintenance investment – Aggressive, fair code enforcement.
• Encouraged investment in new development – Success in attracting 22 new, expanded businesses.
• Transformational private investment in downtown projects – Cornerstone and Sundog IT.
• Improved technology – With tools to share information and give more efficient operations.
• Improvement in public safety through fire and police services – Proactive, neighborhood-based, intelligent policing tactics and “all hazards” service from fire.
• Marketed the city to brokers and developers – Focus on assets that raise the quality of life.
• Expanded internal procedures – Legal, human resources, information technology.
• Continued public works activity – Equipment repairs, signs, traffic controls, streets, storm water system, fresh water supply.
My administration has provided benefit to taxpayers. I ask for your support April 4. I want to continue making DeKalb a better place for everyone to live, work, learn in and enjoy the community.
Action steps of continued service in my next term include economic growth, bridge social distance, reduction of crime, improved street conditions and housing. You can find details on my website, www.JohnReyForMayor.com.
Your vote for me April 4 will keep the momentum going!