DeKALB COUNTY – Volunteers throughout DeKalb County will work with the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Summer Food Program to provide free meals to area children in the months ahead.
Erik Jacobsen, communications manager for the Geneva-based Northern Illinois Food Bank, said the effort is part of a federal program designed alleviate hunger in the summer months for children who receive free or reduced-price lunches during the school year.
“The issue surrounds the fact that many kids are on free and reduced lunches during the school year but when the school year lets out, that’s the gap we fill,” he said.
The Northern Illinois Food Bank serves 13 northern Illinois counties, including DeKalb. The county is home to 6,230 students who in the past school year qualified for subsidized meals, Jacobsen said. In DeKalb School District 428, about 60 percent of students received free or reduced-priced lunches this year. Countywide, about one-third did.
Those who qualify to participate in the program include children under age 18 or anyone over 18 who is enrolled in a state-approved educational program for individuals with physical or mental disabilities.
Each meal is USDA approved and includes whole grains and fresh fruits with each meal when possible.
Where to go
This summer, free meals will be available Monday through Friday at:
• DeKalb High School, 501 Dresser Road, from 8 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to noon from June 15 to July 15
• Malta Township Public Library, 203 Adams St., from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. from June 15 to Aug. 7,
• DeKalb First United Methodist Church, 301 Oak St., from noon to 1:30 p.m. beginning June 15 until Aug. 21.
• Sycamore Public Library, 103 E. State St., from 11 - 11:30 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from June 8 to Aug. 19,
• Westminster Presbyterian Church, 830 W. Annie Glidden Road, DeKalb, from 9 to 9:30 a.m. and 11 to 11:30 a.m. Mondays through Thursdays, June 22 to Aug. 13.
• Fox Valley Family YMCA West Branch, 707 S. Main St. in Sandwich, Wednesdays through Fridays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Monday until Sept. 1
• Sandwich Public Library from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays, June 15 to Aug.11.