Digital Access

Digital Access
Access from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more!

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.
In observance of the Memorial Day holiday, the Daily Chronicle newspaper will not be published May 28. Breaking news and information will be updated on

G-K loses in final minutes of weather delayed game

GENOA — In the season opener for the Genoa-Kingston football team against St. Edward Friday night, nothing seemed to go the Cogs’ way. 

G-K fumbled its first possession of the season, which led to a touchdown, allowed a 79-yard run for a score and allowed a punt return for a touchdown.

And when the Cogs finally began to generate momentum going into halftime, the game was postponed for an hour and a half due to rain and lighting. St. Edward used its big plays to pull out a 24-20 win in Genoa. 

“We have to get them coached up to play from the very first play. Can’t just preach it, we have to do it,” Cogs head coach Travis Frederick said. “I think that we don’t hand them a touchdown in the first three plays there and that long run there broke out backs a little bit.”

The Cogs (0-1) trailed from the opening minute after Hunter Roger fumbled and the Green Wave (1-0) recovered. On the ensuing play, Dwayne Allen Jr. ran into the end zone for a 9-yard score. 

After trailing 10-0 towards the end of the first quarter, G-K strung together a 14-play, 80-yard drive, capped off by a Griffin McNeal 2-yard touchdown run.

“We fought hard,” McNeal said. “We had our moment and we definitely hit a rhythm in the first half. They made some nice second half adjustments to our option. We need to fix a few things up front and we aren’t down on ourselves.”

When the halftime whistle blew, Cogs only trailed 17-14 thanks to a Jesse Bade score at the end of the second quarter. The rain poured, the lightning struck and the game was postponed.

The teams came back out for the second half and G-K were on its heals again. St. Edward’s Danny Favela broke out to a 79-yard touchdown to push the lead out to 24-14 on the Green Wave’s opening possession of the second half. 

“We have to improve and the good news is that we have eight more games to do that,” Frederick said.

G-K closed the gap again when McNeal completed a pass to Ian Fell in the back of the end zone for a touchdown. That was the final score of the game.

“We just need to limit the big plays, take care of the ball and we will be alright,” said McNeal.

The Cogs made a little luck for themselves by forcing three turnovers. All three were interception, with Fell hauling in two of them. G-K turned the ball over twice. The Cogs fumbled its opening and final offensive plays of the game.

McNeal finished 6-of-10 for 48 yards passing. The senior also ran for 48 yards on 12 carries. Bade finished the contest with 53 yards rushing. Joe Murray ran the ball 15 times for 34 yards.

Loading more