Overcast
47°FOvercastFull Forecast

No suspects in shooting death of Chicago boy, 9

Published: Thursday, Aug. 21, 2014 8:36 a.m. CST

CHICAGO – Police are searching for whoever fatally shot a 9-year-old boy in Chicago's Greater Grand Crossing neighborhood.

Police spokeswoman Ana Pacheco says officers responded around 4 p.m. Wednesday to a report of gunfire.

They found the boy in a backyard. He had been shot multiple times and was taken in critical condition to Comer Children's Hospital, where he died. Pacheco had no other details.

No one was in custody Thursday morning.

Relatives identified the boy as Antonio Smith and said he lived in the neighborhood but not at the property where he was found.

Cousin Kenya Eggleston told reporters the family was struggling to make sense of the shooting, saying, "He was just a child, just a baby, still had a whole life ahead of him."

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Daily Chronicle.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all DDC instances for analytics purposes.

NIU-Ohio postgame: Rod Carey

More videos »

Reader Poll

What's the longest you've worked for the same employer?
Less than 5 years
5-10 years
10-20 years
20-35 years
More than 35 years