Mostly Cloudy
68°FMostly CloudyFull Forecast

Electrical equipment likely cause of smoke in Kingston home

Published: Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2014 1:28 p.m. CDT • Updated: Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2014 10:18 p.m. CDT
Caption
Jessi Haish - jhaish@shawmedia.com Fire officials are tearing apart ceilings in a Kingston home looking for electrical hot spots after smoke was detected coming from a vent in the dining room Tuesday. Genoa-Kingston fire department responded to a call about 11:55 a.m. Sycamore assistant fire chief Art Zern said it looked like there was overheated electrical equipment somewhere in the home, and the fire departments were working together to clear smoke from the home.

KINGSTON – Fire officials were tearing apart ceilings in a Kingston home looking for electrical hot spots after residents saw smoke coming from a dining room vent today.

Genoa-Kingston firefighters, as well as those from several area departments, were called to 31728 Hillcrest Road about 11:55 a.m. today. Sycamore Assistant Fire chief Art Zern said electrical equipment somewhere in the home likely had overheated, and the fire departments were working together to clear smoke from the home.

The homeowner, Teri Wille, and her children were home at the time but there were no injuries. Wille said her children noticed smoke, so they grabbed their pets and exited the home before calling 911.

Check back at www.daily-chronicle.com for updates to the story.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Daily Chronicle.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all DDC instances for analytics purposes.

Cortland Crash Scene

More videos »

Reader Poll

Did you leave home to attend college?
Yes, but returned home frequently
Yes, and rarely returned home
No