SYCAMORE – Sycamore residents Jack and Jean Spartz were watching a baseball game Sunday evening when a man pounded on their door saying there was a fire at his next door neighbor's garage.
Jack Spartz immediately ran to his driveway to move his two cars and motor home, which the couple recently used while on a four-week vacation across Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota. Their neighbor's garage, however, was a total loss, sustaining an estimated $75,000 in damage.
"It went pretty fast," Jack Spartz said. "I'm just happy my garage didn't go."
Authorities are still investigating the fire. At 5:08 p.m. Sunday, Sycamore firefighters responded to 423 Washington Place, fire officials said in a news release. The fire was under control in 45 minutes, but due to significant structural damage, firefighters continued working there for about 90 minutes. Contents of the garage, including a vehicle, were destroyed, but there were no injuries and the home is still fit for occupancy, fire officials said.
The fire appeared to have started in the rear of the garage and caused damage to the garage and neighboring properties, the news release states. Although the fire was contained to the garage, three neighboring properties suffered heat damage.
Sycamore Fire Chief Pete Polarek said those properties included two nearby garages and a nearby in-ground pool, which had damage to its lining.
Firefighters from Cortland and DeKalb assisted at the scene, as did Sycamore Police and the Sycamore Water Department and Nicor.