To the Editor:
In reading Northern Illinois University President Doug Baker’s summer update describing the many fine programs on campus, I see no mention of efforts to address a serious problem affecting NIU as covered in the local press – namely that one in five female students on college campuses are subjected to sexual assault, but only one in eight report it. (Could you please give us the statistics for NIU?)
Perhaps Baker could outline for the community how the University is addressing this horrendous problem – i.e., what changes have been made to provide the following:
1. well-publicized safety measures to prevent future attacks on women on campus and the surrounding area;
2. clearly understood supportive procedures to encourage reporting by abused women
3. adequate follow-up in discipline of offending males, including referral to local law enforcement;
4. respectful rehabilitative services for abused women;
5. education of all students in respect for women.
I understand this is a national problem, but surely we can ensure that when families entrust their precious daughters to our university, they will be protected from sexual abuse during their time here!