Partly Cloudy
69°FPartly CloudyFull Forecast

Gov. Quinn won't testify about 2010 program

Published: Thursday, June 26, 2014 1:09 p.m. CDT

CHICAGO (AP) — Gov. Pat Quinn says he has no intentions of testifying before a legislative commission about the scandal-laden anti-violence program he started in 2010.

The Chicago Democrat hasn't been subpoenaed or invited less informally. But seven former officials with his administration have been compelled to appear before the Legislative Audit Commission next month. They're expected to address problems with management and spending under Quinn's $55 million Neighborhood Recovery Initiative.

Quinn started it to combat violence in several Chicago neighborhoods, but a state audit earlier this year found "pervasive" issues. Federal and Cook County authorities are also investigating the program.

This week Republicans called on Quinn to testify himself.

Quinn dismissed the notion Thursday after an unrelated event. He says he addressed problems, including dismantling the agency that ran the program.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Daily Chronicle.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all DDC instances for analytics purposes.

NIU-Presbyterian postgame

More videos »

Reader Poll

What is your favorite thing about fall?
Changing leaves
Halloween
Apple picking
Cooler temperatures
Football