Overcast and Breezy
44°FOvercast and BreezyFull Forecast

Police: DeKalb man accused of leaving crash scene had prior DUIs

Published: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 5:43 p.m. CDT • Updated: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 11:53 p.m. CDT
Corey Akers, 39, of DeKalb, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol after allegedly fleeing the scene of a three vehicle crash.

DeKALB – When a DeKalb police officer found Corey R. Akers with foliage and glass shards in his hair and clothes, Akers said he had been in a fight near the railroad tracks behind a DeKalb bar, authorities said.

Rather, police believe Akers, 39, of the 300 block of Regal Drive in DeKalb, was drunk about 10 p.m. Tuesday when the Ford Aspire he was driving east on Route 38 east of Nelson Road collided head-on with a westbound pickup truck, authorities said. Akers had passed a semitrailer west of Nelson Road at high speed and remained in the oncoming lane, slowing enough that the semitrailer's driver caught up to him and struck the pickup truck after the head-on collision, Dumdie said.

Akers fled the crash on foot, after the car he was driving came to rest on the side of the road, authorities said. The occupants of the Dodge pickup – Kyle R. Donohoe, 18, of DeKalb, and Patrick Donohoe, 41, of Malta – were taken to Kishwaukee Hospital. Both of the smaller vehicles were heavily damaged, while the semitrailer suffered minor damage, authorities said. Akers, who was out on bond in a pending felony DUI case, initially was charged with several misdemeanors in connection with Tuesday's crash, so sheriff's police took him to Kishwaukee Hospital to be treated for cuts on his forearm and above an eye. They released him on his own recognizance.

The new charges were upgraded Wednesday to three counts of aggravated DUI and one count each of leaving the scene of an accident involving injury or death, failure to report an accident involving injury or death, and aggravated driving on a revoked license. His bond in that case was set at $250,000, which would require posting $25,000 to be released while the case is pending. He turned himself in Wednesday night and is expected in court today.

Court records show Akers previously was charged with DUI in 1998, 2000 and 2013. His most recent DUI allegation stemmed from an incident on Oct. 12, when a Sycamore police officer indicated that Akers' eyes were bloodshot, his speech was impaired and his breath smelled like alcohol, court records show.

• Reporter Andrea Azzo contributed to this report.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Daily Chronicle.

Reader Poll

When do you think this Congress will be ready to take a vote on health care?
Within a few months
Later this year
More than a year