47°FOvercastFull Forecast

Charges upgraded in Facebook death threat case

Published: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 12:50 p.m. CDT • Updated: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 11:28 p.m. CDT
Kavoisia Thomas, 18, of Sycamore, was charged Friday with intimidation, harassment through electronic communication, assault and disorderly conduct.

SYCAMORE – Prosecutors have filed more serious charges against the 18-year-old Sycamore man accused of threatening to kill his 17-year-old ex-girlfriend on Facebook.

Kavoisia D. Thomas, whose name is pronounced cuh-VAH-see-ay and also goes by Kvo, was charged with intimidation, on top of electronic harassment, assault and disorderly conduct, court records show. The most serious charge, intimidation, typically is punishable with probation or up to five years in prison.

Thomas remained in DeKalb County Jail on Tuesday morning, unable to post 10 percent of his $50,000 bond. He is next due in court Thursday.

The couple's relationship ended June 1, but the 17-year-old Sycamore girl told Thomas a few days later they could get back together if he got a job and went to counseling, she said in a petition for an order of protection. The petition did not indicate what type of counseling she thought he needed, but it did indicate the couple argued over whether she had seen an ex-boyfriend or other male friends recently.

Shortly after midnight Friday, Thomas posted on Facebook that he planned to kill her, and when others told him to calm down, he posted on Facebook that he was on his way to her home to kill her before committing suicide, court records show. Thomas had blocked the 17-year-old from seeing his posts on social media, but another of her ex-boyfriends called to warn her of the Facebook threat.

When he arrived at the girl's home, Thomas sent her a text message threatening to break the windows in the home if she didn't come outside. She met him and they argued, in hushed voices so her parents wouldn't hear, over whether she had cheated on him. They ducked into the bushes when they saw a police car drive by, because she was afraid of receiving a curfew violation, court records show.

He grabbed her arm when she tried to go back inside, but she kept walking, locked the patio door and slipped into bed before police pounded on the door, the girl stated in the petition for an order of protection. Later Friday morning, Thomas told Sycamore police he probably wouldn't have killed the girl if she refused to continue their relationship, but that he would kill himself and the other ex-boyfriend if released from jail, court records show.

An emergency order of protection bans him from having contact with the girl or her family for a couple of weeks, and if he posts bail, county officials will monitor him through GPS.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Daily Chronicle.

Reader Poll

Will you take advantage of more peak hour TransVAC Green Line runs?