DeKALB – Faulty electrical equipment in a fish tank was blamed for a fire that caused about $15,000 in damages to a DeKalb home, authorities announced Tuesday.
A resident returned to her home at 603 S. Second St., about 2:20 p.m. Monday to find it filled with smoke, according to a DeKalb Fire Department news release. Firefighters discovered a small fire near the fish tank and put it out in about four minutes; the fire damage was contained to the living room.
Several dogs and cats were removed from the home before it was ventilated to remove the smoke. Firefighters were at the home for about an hour.