Thunderstorm
78°FThunderstormFull Forecast

Electrical fire causes about $15K in damages to DeKalb home

Published: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 10:26 a.m. CDT • Updated: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 10:16 p.m. CDT

DeKALB – Faulty electrical equipment in a fish tank was blamed for a fire that caused about $15,000 in damages to a DeKalb home, authorities announced Tuesday.

A resident returned to her home at 603 S. Second St., about 2:20 p.m. Monday to find it filled with smoke, according to a DeKalb Fire Department news release. Firefighters discovered a small fire near the fish tank and put it out in about four minutes; the fire damage was contained to the living room.

Several dogs and cats were removed from the home before it was ventilated to remove the smoke. Firefighters were at the home for about an hour.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Daily Chronicle.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all DDC instances for analytics purposes.

Coach Carey Talks NIU Football at Media Day

More videos »

Reader Poll

What personal safety devices do you carry?
Pepper spray
Stun gun
Keychain
Gun
Nothing