Fair
63°FFairFull Forecast

Gov. Quinn’s lawyer acknowledges inspector probe

Published: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:03 p.m. CDT
Caption
(AP file photo)
Chicago attorney Michael Shakman poses in his office Nov. 4, 2009. Shakman, who spearheaded a decades-long court case leading to bans on political hiring, filed a motion request for an investigation into hiring practices under Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn's administration. A federal judge on Tuesday, April 29, 2014, said Quinn has until June 6 to respond to the motion.

CHICAGO – An attorney representing Gov. Pat Quinn’s administration publicly acknowledged Tuesday an ongoing investigation by Illinois’ inspector general of hiring practices under the one-term Democrat.

The topic came up at a status hearing in a civil case in front of the U.S. District Court in Chicago. Attorney Michael Shakman asked in a motion last week for an investigation into Quinn’s hiring practices.

Quinn’s office has said it has “zero tolerance” for violations of hiring procedures.

Shakman, who spearheaded a decades-long court case leading to bans on political hiring, cited in his filing a Better Government Association report that said Illinois’ Department of Transportation skirted rules in filling hundreds of positions.

At one point during Tuesday’s brief hearing, U.S. Magistrate Judge Sidney Schenkier asked Quinn administration attorney Brent Stratton whether court documents alluding to an inspector general’s investigation were accurate.

“That’s our understanding that’s correct,” Stratton responded. “It is our understanding there is an ongoing investigation.”

Schenkier said he would like to know the status of the watchdog agency’s probe, though he said the inspector general should be given assurances the governor’s office was not trying to “intrude” by seeking to learn where the investigation stood.

The inspector general’s office typically does not acknowledge ongoing investigations, and spokesman David Keahl declined comment Tuesday.

Schenkier gave Quinn until June 6 to respond to Shakmen’s motion. The next status hearing is June 17.

___

Follow Michael Tarm on Twitter at https://twitter.com/mtarm

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Daily Chronicle.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all DDC instances for analytics purposes.

Carey on Presbyterian and QBs

More videos »

Reader Poll

Do you think the DeKalb area has enough affordable housing?
Yes
No