Fair
69°FFairFull Forecast

Drugs blamed in death at Sycamore hotel

Coroner won’t say which substance killed DeKalb man

Published: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 11:10 p.m. CDT • Updated: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 4:45 p.m. CDT

SYCAMORE – DeKalb resident Charles “Chuck” Williams died of a drug overdose in a Sycamore hotel, DeKalb County Coroner Dennis Miller said Wednesday.

Williams, 30, and his wife were spending a night away together at the Jane Fargo Hotel, 355 W. State St., when she found him unresponsive about 4 a.m. March 27 and called police, she said. Chuck Williams, of the 1700 block of Kent Place, was pronounced dead at the hotel.

Miller said his finding came after receiving the toxicology results. He would not comment on what drug was involved or how much Williams had in his system, but said Williams would not have died if he had not taken the drugs.

“He was a young man,” Miller said. “That would be the cause of death.”

Miller added he had not reviewed the final autopsy report, but expects to do so in the coming days.

Sycamore police continue to investigate Williams’ death, but no charges have been filed in the case.

“This is an active investigation and we still have some steps to take before we will release any details,” Sycamore Police Detective Sgt. Rod Swartzendruber said.

Swartzendruber estimated the investigation would take about three weeks to complete.

Williams was admitted to DeKalb County Drug Court in August 2012 after twice being charged with cocaine possession, court records show. He graduated from the drug court program in November.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Daily Chronicle.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all DDC instances for analytics purposes.

NIU-Presbyterian postgame

More videos »

Reader Poll

Are you paying student loan debt?
Yes
No, paid it off
No, never had or will have any
No, but I expect I will someday