Thunderstorm Light Rain
71°FThunderstorm Light RainFull Forecast

U of Chicago student died of alcohol poisoning

Published: Monday, April 14, 2014 12:49 p.m. CDT

CHICAGO — The Cook County medical examiner says a University of Chicago student found dead in his campus dorm room in February died of alcohol poisoning.

Police found 20-year-old Nicholas Brastins Barnes of Pittsburgh, Pa., on Feb. 15. Authorities say the student had been dead for some time. Results of an autopsy done soon after the body was found were inconclusive pending toxicology reports, which were released Monday. The cause of death was listed as an accident due to ethanol toxicity.

Barnes was found in his room at the International House on campus, which is a residential and program center. He was majoring in Germanic studies and had studied in Austria in the fall of 2012.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Daily Chronicle.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all DDC instances for analytics purposes.

NIU-Presbyterian postgame

More videos »

Reader Poll

What do you like best about Corn Fest?
Free corn
Live music
Carnival
Street festival atmosphere
Meeting friends and neighbors