SYCAMORE – Swanson Road was closed Sunday evening as crews fixed a ruptured natural gas main discovered about 5:15 p.m., Sycamore Assistant Fire Chief Art Zern said.
Residents in the 300 block of Swanson Road reported smelling natural gas in their yard, and fire crews noticed bubbles in puddles along the parkway and driveway when they arrived, Zern said. They shut down the road and had area residents turn off power to their homes, Zern said.
"Our goal was to eliminate all possibilities for ignition," Zern said.
Nicor crews shut off natural gas to neighboring homes while they found and repaired the 4-inch gas main, Zern said. Service was restored within hours.
Fire crews left the scene about 12:30 a.m. Monday. No explosions were reported in connection with the gas leak, and no natural gas ignited, Zern said.