Digital Access

Digital Access
Access from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more!

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.

Duchnowski: Celebrating the baby born along Route 23

GENOA – Haedan Rorik Quinn was supposed to be born Sunday.

When his mom, Jacquelyn Quinn, felt abdominal pain early on Dec. 23, she thought they were Braxton Hicks contractions. About 3 hours later, she started debating with her parents whether they should drive to the hospital or call 911, because she thought she was experiencing something more immediate.

She ended up delivering her baby in an ambulance at 7:50 a.m. along Route 23 near Whipple Road. Little Haedan, her first child and her parents’ first grandchild, was 173/4-inches long and weighed 5 pounds and 3 ounces. He was about 6 weeks premature.

“I kept thinking: ‘She’s delivering on Route 23 with all the trucks whipping by,’ ” said Cheryl Quinn, Jacquelyn’s mother.

On Tuesday, the Genoa-Kingston Fire Protection District honored the three personnel in the ambulance that day: Kevin Chylewski was driving, under strict instructions to call Sycamore firefighters to bring an ambulance if they had to pull over. Paramedics Sarie Turner and Megan Bacon were in the back, where Cheryl Quinn joined them when they decided to pull over.

Paramedics practice delivering babies twice during training, but most only find themselves doing it once in their career – if that. Fire officials presented the trio with plaques and blue stork pins Tuesday, while giving Cheryl Quinn a department stocking cap that’s still a little big for Haedan.

KishHealth System EMS coordinator Joe Herrmann said the trio did everything right. The baby had some respiratory issues but the crew handled it appropriately, Herrmann said. Haedan is doing well now, weighing about 7 pounds at his last doctor’s appointment, Cheryl Quinn said.

“As a board, we couldn’t be more proud of you,” Fire Protection District Board Secretary Randy Jennings told them.

Cheryl Quinn remembers the trio acting quickly and calmly, but Bacon, who was 18 weeks pregnant herself at the time, remembers worrying about the baby’s condition.

“It was exciting, but I hope I never have to do it again,” Turner added.

As for Cheryl Quinn, she’s rather proud of her major contribution. Aside from holding her daughter’s hand, she passed the paramedics some aluminum foil, which they wrapped around the baby for warmth before grabbing blankets.

“Wrapped him like a baked potato,” Cheryl Quinn said.

• Jillian Duchnowski is the Daily Chronicle’s news editor. Reach her at 815-756-4841, ext. 2221, or email

Loading more