13 more charged in DeKalb meth lab conspiracy
DeKALB – Police said Tuesday they have arrested five people and are seeking eight others accused of participating in a conspiracy to cook methamphetamine around DeKalb last year.
The majority of the new cases target people who allegedly bought behind-the-counter medications, such as Sudafed with pseudoephedrine, for others to use to make methamphetamine, DeKalb County detective Lt. Bob Redel said. Under state law, pharmacies track and limit how much of those medications individuals can buy at once.
"Obviously, they need more than one person to buy the stuff," Redel said.
The investigation stemmed from a methamphetamine lab authorities discovered Oct. 27 in a room at Travel Inn, 1116 W. Lincoln Highway, according to a DeKalb police news release. Three people were arrested in connection with the initial discovery, including Thomas Wilkinson, 29, of DeKalb, who police suspect was the operation's ringleader.
Wilkinson formally denied the criminal charges Dec. 16, and is next due in court Feb. 18.
The continued investigation resulted in charges against 13 others. One man, Jerry M. Whitt, 33, an out-of-state resident with an unknown address, remains wanted on charges of aggravated participation in methamphetamine manufacturing, which is punishable by from 6 to 30 years in prison.
The other 12 of those charged are accused of helping obtain precursor material for methamphetamine, an offense punishable by probation or 3 to 7 years in prison.
Arrest warrants were issued Friday; since then, five people have been arrested, according to the police statement. They are:
• Keith B. Kifer, 48, of the 100 block of South Chapel Street, Elgin
• Joseph E. Waldrop, 30, of the 100 block of South Chapel, Elgin
• Greg L. Hurst, 52, of the 400 block of Harvey Street, DeKalb
• Michael J. Dumiak, 30, of the 400 block of North 11th St., DeKalb
• Jeremy W. Sebek, 28, of the 400 block of Meadowlark Circle, Sandwich
The seven others still wanted on precursor conspiracy charges are:
• Jennifer A. Simpson, 32, address unknown
• Carlos R. Tomas, 24, of the 1200 block of South Madison Street, Marion
• William J. Buell, 32, address unknown
• Allan H. Brown, 46, address unknown
• Corey G. Lindquist, 28, of the 600 block of Eletson Drive, Crystal Lake
• Matthew J. McDonald, 21, of the 300 block of Spring Avenue, Aurora
• John A. Melvin, 33, address unknown