SYCAMORE – Improperly discarded rags were blamed for a fire that caused about $25,000 in damage Tuesday to a home under construction, authorities said Wednesday.
Sycamore firefighters were called about 8 p.m. to the residential structure at the 300 block of Merry Oaks Drive after receiving a report of a fire alarm activation, according to a news release.
With help from DeKalb and Cortland firefighters, crews put out the fire within five minutes and remained working there for about an hour. The fire had been seen through the home’s front window. The home was in the final stages of being remodeled, but no one was there when the fire started.
The fire was ruled accidental, the release stated. No injuries were reported.