Fair
46°FFairFull Forecast

3rd person dies in Mexico border factory blast

Published: Monday, Oct. 28, 2013 5:30 a.m. CDT

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico – A Chihuahua state attorney general’s spokesman said a third person has died from injuries in a candy factory explosion last week on Mexico’s border with the United States.

Arturo Sandoval said the 41-year-old employee of the factory Dulces Blueberry in Ciudad Juarez died late Saturday from third-degree burns that covered most of his body.

The blast Thursday on the second floor of the factory caused the floor to collapse, injuring people working downstairs. The cause still is unknown.

Public health officials said Sunday that 21 of 33 people hospitalized had been discharged, while six others were transferred to hospitals in Guadalajara and Chihuahua city.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Daily Chronicle.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More News

Watch Now

Player embeded on all DDC instances for analytics purposes.

Sept. 30 Rod Carey press conference

More videos »

Reader Poll

What is your favorite homecoming tradition?
The football game
Float-building/the parade
Dress up days
The dance
Crowning the homecoming king and queen