Flames engulf DeKalb house
DeKALB – Fire officials are investigating what sparked the fire that severely damaged a house at 318 Haish Blvd. early Friday morning.
The fire, which caused an estimated $175,000 in damage, started in the southeast corner of the basement, according to a news release. Firefighters arrived at 2:47 a.m. to find flames enveloping the roof and second level of the house, Fire Chief Eric Hicks said.
“There’s a lot of damage to the structure,” Hicks said. “It will be uninhabitable. There’s no way they’re going to be able to live here.”
No one was injured in the blaze, and none of the tenants of the rental property were home when the fire started, the news release states. The home sits southwest of First Street and Lincoln Highway.
Firefighters spent several hours fighting the fire, because it was not safe to climb onto the roof and overhead power lines made it unsafe to use a ladder truck, Hicks said. Firefighters had the fire completely out around 9 a.m., he said.
Crews from Maple Park, Sycamore, Genoa-Kingston, Malta and Cortland fire departments also responded to the scene, as did officials from the Office of the State Fire Marshal, DeKalb police and DeKalb public works.