Mostly Cloudy
72°FMostly CloudyFull Forecast

Clothes dryer starts fire in DeKalb house

Published: Saturday, Oct. 12, 2013 5:30 a.m. CDT

DeKALB – Firefighters were called to put out a fire started by a clothes dryer in a DeKalb home Friday morning.

DeKalb firefighters were called to a home in the 1600 block of Sunrise Drive around 7:30 a.m. after receiving a report of a clothes dryer on fire. After arriving, they found a fire behind the dryer in the home’s utility room that was mostly extinguished, DeKalb Fire Department officials said.

The home was evacuated and firefighters suppressed the fire. After ventilating the area to remove residual smoke, they found damage was contained to the dryer and the wall behind it. 

No one had been injured and a community development officer was there to help the residents. 

The fire caused $1,500 in damage. Fire officials said the cause of the fire is unknown, but typically lint building up in vent tubes of dryers can lead to fires. 

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Daily Chronicle.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all DDC instances for analytics purposes.

Raven's Husky Haven and Rescue in Sycamore

More videos »

Reader Poll

What should DeKalb city leaders' biggest priority in the coming year?
Developing a college-friendly town
Creating jobs
Repairing roads
Renovating City Hall
Long-term planning