Fright Night: Plenty of Halloween events to scare you silly or just have fun
With the falling leaves, the colder weather and the longer nights already here, it can only mean one thing – Halloween is just around the corner.
And for those who want to celebrate the annual season of scares, there’s plenty of fun and spooky activities for people of all ages starting this weekend and running through Oct. 31 – from trick-or-treating events to concerts to haunted houses.
Following is a list of area events sure to get Halloween fans in the spirit.
• Amenti Haunted House: 7 to 11:30 p.m. Oct. 18, 19, 25, 26, 31 and Nov. 1 and 2; 7 to 10 p.m. Oct. 20 and 27, Egyptian Theatre, 135 N. Second St., DeKalb. Adults: $13. Not recommended for children younger than 13. www.amenti.info
• Creston Haunted Opera House: 7 to 10 p.m. Oct. 18, 19, 25 and 26, 204 S. Main St., Creston. Cost: $5. www.crestonboosterclub.org
• Sandwich Sportsmans Club Haunted House: 7 to 11 p.m. Oct. 18, 19, 25 and 26 at 1011 Hartman Trail, Sandwich. Cost: $8. A children’s matinee will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. Oct. 19 and 26. Cost: $5. www.sandwichsportsmansclub.com
• Haunted Corn Maze: After dark to 10:30 p.m. Oct. 18, 19, 25 and 26, Jonamac Orchard, 19412 Shabbona Road, Malta. Cost: $10, adults; $8, children ages 6 to 12. Flashlights not allowed, only glowsticks or pen lights. In the event of rain, maze will be closed. www.jonamacorchard.com
• Discover Sycamore Downtown Trick-or-Treat: 4:30 to 6 p.m. Oct. 23 in Sycamore. Downtown merchants hand out candy to children who come in costume. www.discoversycamore.com
• 52nd annual Sycamore Pumpkin Festival: Oct. 23 to 27. Parade steps off at 1 p.m. Oct. 27. Display of pumpkins on the DeKalb County Courthouse lawn begins at 4 p.m. Oct. 23. www.sycamorepumpkinfest.com
• Kishwaukee Family YMCA Family Halloween Event: 4:30 to 8 p.m. Oct. 25 at the Northern Illinois University Convocation Center, 1525 W. Lincoln Highway, DeKalb. Tickets cost $2. A limited number of tickets are available; pick them up early at the Y. www.kishymca.org
• “Terror in the Timber” Haunted Trail: 6 to 10:30 p.m. Oct. 25 and 26, Sannauk Woods in Somonauk, on Route 34 between Sandwich Airport and Somonauk Road. Twilight performance for children is 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Oct. 26. Cost: $8, adults; $6, children younger than 10.
• Downtown DeKalb Spooktacular: 1 to 3 p.m. Oct. 26 in DeKalb. Downtown merchants hand out candy to children who come in costume. Activities include kid-friendly haunted house at the Egyptian Theatre. www.dekalb.org
• Halloween Happenings: 2 to 4 p.m. Oct. 26 at Kiernan Park, 500 N. Locust St., Genoa. Free family event features games, rides, food and a costume contest. www.genoaparks.com
• Halloween Fest: 5 to 9:30 p.m. Oct. 26 at Plowman’s Park, 48W508 Hinckley Road, Big Rock. This free, family event has something for all ages: two haunted houses, stage shows, clowns, face painting, magicians, jugglers, haunted hayrides, bounce houses and games. There is a costume parade and a pumpkin-carving contest. www.halloween-fest.com
• Creepy Crawly Halloween Party: 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 26 at Midwest Museum of Natural History, 425 W. State St., Sycamore. Trick-or-treat through the decorated museum, enjoying games along the way. Cost is $8 per person for children and adults; $6 for members. www.mmnh.org
• Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra Halloween Concert: 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Oct. 30 at the Boutell Memorial Concert Hall, 400 Lucinda Ave., DeKalb. Free. Trick-or-treating will begin at 5 p.m. in the NIU Music Building. www.kishorchestra.org