Judge denies trial delay for Fort Hood suspect

Published: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:35 p.m.CDT • Updated: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:41 p.m.CDT

FORT HOOD, Texas – A military judge has refused a three-month trial delay for the Army psychiatrist charged in the deadly 2009 Fort Hood shooting rampage.

Maj. Nidal Hasan made the request after the judge allowed him to represent himself at the court-martial. Hasan said he needed more time to prepare for his defense strategy.

Last week the judge barred Hasan from telling jurors that he shot U.S. troops because they posed an immediate threat to Taliban leaders in Afghanistan.

On Tuesday, Hasan told the judge that he no longer needed more time to prepare.

Col. Tara Osborn, the judge, is expected to set a trial date later Tuesday.

Hasan faces the death penalty or life in prison without parole if convicted in the attack that left 13 dead on the Texas Army post.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all DDC instances for analytics purposes.

Sycamore Defeats DeKalb at NIU - April 17, 2014

More videos

Reader Poll

What's your favorite Easter tradition?
Church services
Family dinner
Easter egg hunt
Easter bunny
Decorating eggs