Digital Access

Digital Access
Access daily-chronicle.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more!

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.
Crime & Courts

Bond reduction denied in 2010 NIU campus shooting case

New trial for former NIU student charged in 2010 shooting

SYCAMORE — A judge declined to reduce bond Tuesday for a former Northern Illinois University student awaiting a second trial for allegedly shooting another student in the leg in February 2010.

Judge Robbin Stuckert denied 25-year-old Zachary Isaacman's request to lower his bond to $12,000, which would require posting $1,200 for him to be released while the case is pending. Isaacman was previously convicted and sentenced to 10 years in prison for allegedly shooting Brian Mulder in the leg in outside Stevenson North residence hall. 

Appellate justices overturned his conviction this spring after determining his attorney's ineffectiveness prevented him from receiving a fair trial. The three-judge panel on Illinois Second District Appellate Court criticized defense attorney John Paul Carroll for ignoring Isaacman's requests to interview witnesses and not discussing the facts of the case with Isaacman or his mother, according to the appellate decision. 

Stuckert said nothing about the circumstances of Isaacman's case changed except his conviction being overturned. 

During his testimony for the bond reduction hearing, Isaacman said he would reside with his mother at the 1600 block of Turf Court in Grayslake. He said he would also be employed at Classic Pools LLC doing construction work, and have one of his friends or family drive him to scheduled court appearances while his case was pending. 

Assistant Public Defender Robert Carlson said Isaacman was considered a minimum security risk while he was serving his sentence at the Illinois Department of Corrections. He also said Isaacman had no prior convictions and was not a flight risk.   

"He is not a danger to the community," Carlson said. 

Prosecutors argued against the bond reduction because of the pending charges. If convicted of the more serious charge he faces, aggravated battery with a firearm, he would be sentenced to between six and 30 years in prison.

Isaacman will next be in court on May 30. 

Loading more