SYCAMORE – A fire that started in a chimney caused about $100,000 in damage Friday afternoon to a ranch home in the 2200 block of Highland Drive, which is off Route 23 north of Edgebrook Lane.
The fire started in or near the fireplace, but firefighters saw heavy smoke coming from the roof when they arrived about 12:55 p.m. Friday, according to a news release from the Sycamore Fire Department. The fire spread from the rear of the home into the attic, the release stated.
No one was injured in the fire, and the cause “appears to be accidental pending further investigation,” the release states. Firefighters contained the fire within 15 minutes and spent another 90 minutes evaluating the home.
Cortland and DeKalb fire departments helped Sycamore firefighters at the scene, while Genoa-Kingston personnel covered Sycamore Station 1, the release states.
Traffic was blocked for those coming off Route 23 onto Highland Drive on Friday afternoon.