1. Clear unhealthy foods out of the house. Get rid of all those holiday treats and convenience foods. Replaced processed foods with fresh, whole grain foods, fruits and vegetables.
2. Make a plan to be more active. Start a gym membership, work with a personal trainer, start walking during your lunch break at work – whatever fits your schedule and lifestyle best, set a goal to add more activity into your week.
3. Eat out less often. It’s hard to find healthy choices when you’re eating out. Even when you try to make healthy choices, portion sizes are hard to control. The result is usually more calories, sugar, and fat then you planned for. Eating out less often and trying to cook healthier, wholesome meals at home will be the healthiest choice for the whole family.
4. Try some new healthy recipes. Cooking Light and Eating Well are great resources for healthy recipe ideas.Check out their websites at http://www.cookinglight.com/magazine/ and http://www.eatingwell.com/.
5. Find an app to help you meet your health goals. Apps are a convenient and fun way to access helpful information and to help you track your status and meet your goals.
- My Fitness Pal is a great way to track your daily food intake and the effect that activity has towards your goals.
- Lose It is another great nutrition tracker and source for nutrition information on food choices.
- For activity, try RunKeeper. You can track your walking and running, distance, and calories burned.
- There are also pedometer apps available. All these apps are available for free.
Here’s to a happy and healthy new year!