Fog/Mist
31°FFog/MistFull Forecast

Candle ignites DeKalb apartment fire

Published: Thursday, Dec. 20, 2012 5:30 a.m. CST

DeKALB – An unattended candle started the fire that caused $46,000 in damage Tuesday to an upper apartment at Lincoln Highway and Eighth Street in DeKalb, fire officials said.

Flames reportedly were seen from a second-floor window about 4:10 p.m. Tuesday at 121 S. Eighth St. Firefighters contained the blaze to the kitchen, but smoke damaged much of the second floor, a news release stated. The fire started with the waste and paper recycling stacked on the floor under the shelf where the candle was left burning, fire officials said.

The fire was under control within 20 minutes, but crews spent about three hours making sure it had not spread in the walls or the attic. A firefighter was treated at an emergency room for an injury at the scene and was released, the news release said.

Crews from Waterman, Hinckley, Maple Park, Genoa-Kingston and Sycamore fire departments also responded.

– Daily Chronicle

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Daily Chronicle.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all DDC instances for analytics purposes.

NIU Hospital Visit

More videos »

Reader Poll

What's the longest your hair ever has been?
Below my beltline
Middle of my back
Shoulder length
Over the ears
I always crop it close