Digital Access

Digital Access
Access daily-chronicle.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more!

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.
Local

Candle ignites DeKalb apartment fire

DeKALB – An unattended candle started the fire that caused $46,000 in damage Tuesday to an upper apartment at Lincoln Highway and Eighth Street in DeKalb, fire officials said.

Flames reportedly were seen from a second-floor window about 4:10 p.m. Tuesday at 121 S. Eighth St. Firefighters contained the blaze to the kitchen, but smoke damaged much of the second floor, a news release stated. The fire started with the waste and paper recycling stacked on the floor under the shelf where the candle was left burning, fire officials said.

The fire was under control within 20 minutes, but crews spent about three hours making sure it had not spread in the walls or the attic. A firefighter was treated at an emergency room for an injury at the scene and was released, the news release said.

Crews from Waterman, Hinckley, Maple Park, Genoa-Kingston and Sycamore fire departments also responded.

– Daily Chronicle

Loading more