Fire damages DeKalb apartment
DeKALB - An unattended candle sparked the fire that caused $46,000 in damages Tuesday to an upper apartment at Lincoln Highway and Eighth Street in DeKalb, fire officials said.
Flames reportedly were seen from a second-floor window at 121 S. Eighth St. about 4:10 p.m. Tuesday. Firefighters contained the flames to the kitchen but smoke damaged much of the second floor, a news release stated. The fire started with the waste and paper recycling stacked on the floor under the shelf where the candle was left burning, fire officials said.
The fire was under control within 20 minutes, but crews spent about three hours making sure the fire had not spread in the walls or the attic. A firefighter was treated at and released from the emergency room after suffering an injury at the scene, the news release states.
Crews from Waterman, Hinckley, Maple Park, Genoa-Kingston and Sycamore fire departments also responded.