Fair
55°FFairFull Forecast

Fire damages DeKalb apartment

Published: Wednesday, Dec. 19, 2012 5:30 a.m. CDT • Updated: Wednesday, Dec. 19, 2012 1:30 p.m. CDT
Player embeded on all DC instances for analytics purposes.

DeKALB - An unattended candle sparked the fire that caused $46,000 in damages Tuesday to an upper apartment at Lincoln Highway and Eighth Street in DeKalb, fire officials said.

Flames reportedly were seen from a second-floor window at 121 S. Eighth St. about 4:10 p.m. Tuesday. Firefighters contained the flames to the kitchen but smoke damaged much of the second floor, a news release stated. The fire started with the waste and paper recycling stacked on the floor under the shelf where the candle was left burning, fire officials said.

The fire was under control within 20 minutes, but crews spent about three hours making sure the fire had not spread in the walls or the attic. A firefighter was treated at and released from the emergency room after suffering an injury at the scene, the news release states.

Crews from Waterman, Hinckley, Maple Park, Genoa-Kingston and Sycamore fire departments also responded.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Daily Chronicle.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all DDC instances for analytics purposes.

NIU-Eastern Michigan postgame: Rod Carey

More videos »

Reader Poll

Which is your favorite quote from John F. Kennedy?
“Ask not what your country can do for you ...”
“Things do not happen. Things are made to happen.”
“Ich bin ein Berliner.”
“Man must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind.”