THE INSIDER: Wrestling
SPOTLIGHT ON ...
It's no surprise Green is off to a 4-0 start. He wrestles against four-time state qualifier Doug Johnson at every practice. Green will move between 132 and 138 in the early portion of the season depending on matchups, but the stiffest challenge he'll face all year just might come in practice.
WHAT TO WATCH FOR
Kaneland at Sycamore, 6 p.m. Thursday
A conference title could be at stake in the very first match of the Northern Illinois Big 12 East conference season. Sycamore has a deeper roster. The Spartans are contenders for a fourth consecutive appearance at team state and are led by defending state champion Austin Culton and two state qualifiers. Sycamore won't struggle to fill any weight classes.
The Knights have several question marks at the middle and upper weights, but also return three state qualifiers. A win here would be a confidence-builder for the Knights, who appear to be better suited for tournaments.
1. Austin Culton (152), Sycamore, senior, 2-0
2. Doug Johnson (138), DeKalb, senior, 4-0
3. Jake Davis (195), Sycamore, senior, 2-0
4. Dan Goress (145), Kaneland, senior, 3-0
5. Kyle Akins (113), Sycamore, junior, 1-0
6. Esai Ponce (132), Kaneland, senior, 2-0
7. Stephen Gust (113), Kaneland, senior, 3-0
8. Zach Theis (285), Kaneland, senior, 3-0
9. Brad Green (132), DeKalb, sophomore, 4-0
10. Jackson Montgomery (126), DeKalb, sophomore, 4-0
NOTEBOOK: On schedule at DeKalb
If you have any technical difficulties, either with your username and password or with the payment options, please contact us by e-mail at email@example.com