In a first, Illinois murder trial goes live
CHICAGO – A court official said live TV coverage of a northeastern Illinois murder trial is going smoothly.
Illinois Supreme Court spokesman Joe Tybor said Thursday the recently begun trial of Demetrious Jones is the first in the state to feature live, gavel-to-gavel television coverage.
It is part of an experiment by the state’s highest court lifting longstanding camera bans in select courts. If it goes well in this and other trials, the policy could become permanent.
The 20-year-old Jones is charged with in the shooting death of 27-year-old Marcus Sanders last year.