Fair
11°FFairFull Forecast

In a first, Illinois 
murder trial goes live

Published: Saturday, Oct. 27, 2012 5:30 a.m. CST

CHICAGO – A court official said live TV coverage of a northeastern Illinois murder trial is going smoothly.

Illinois Supreme Court spokesman Joe Tybor said Thursday the recently begun trial of Demetrious Jones is the first in the state to feature live, gavel-to-gavel television coverage.

It is part of an experiment by the state’s highest court lifting longstanding camera bans in select courts. If it goes well in this and other trials, the policy could become permanent.

The 20-year-old Jones is charged with in the shooting death of 27-year-old Marcus Sanders last year.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Daily Chronicle.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all DDC instances for analytics purposes.

Nov. 24 Rod Carey press conference

More videos »

Reader Poll

What is your favorite traditional Thanksgiving food?
Turkey
Stuffing
Green bean casserole
Pumpkin pie
Cranberry sauce