NEW YORK – The financial losses are starting to pile up as a result of the NHL lockout.
And on Tuesday, the league made that public.
In speaking to reporters after talks finished up for the day between the NHL and the NHLPA, Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly estimated that the league has lost $100 million in revenues from the canceled preseason.
"Today," he said, "was not overly encouraging."
And though they can pick up at any time, for the moment, there are no further talks scheduled. That only further increases speculation that regular-season games could be lost, with an announcement sometime this week. The season was slated to begin Oct. 11.
"We are closer by definition (to canceling regular season games)," Daly said. "We are focused on minimizing the damage."
Tuesday's bargaining session focused on the definition of hockey-related revenue, and featured NHLPA head Donald Fehr, his brother, Steve, the special counsel to the players' association, and Winnipeg Jets defenseman Ron Hainsey.
"They have made some incremental moves," said Donald Fehr, who expects to informally talk with NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman by Wednesday. "It's clear that the players have made substantial moves towards the owners and the owners have made substantial moves away from the players."
As there has been throughout the process, there is still a difference in opinion.
"We're looking for a long-term deal that's fair to the players, league and fans," Daly said. "Certainly, we're trying to be as creative as (we can be)."
Meanwhile, Steve Fehr disputed the notion that no progress had been made.
"I don't know (that) I would agree with (that) phrase," he said. "Talks can resume anytime they're ready."
Daly, in an email to the Associated Press, said the league has not projected potential damage caused by the cancellation of any regular-season games. Clearly, the hope is that it won't have to address that matter, but the clock is ticking.
"What we have repeatedly tried to communicate is that we need to hear from them to move this process along," Daly wrote in the email. "And we do think that's the only thing that is going to allow us to gain traction. But that doesn't mean we stop everything we're doing and simply wait around for a proposal.
"If there is something we feel we can do to move the process forward, I'm sure we won't hesitate to do it."
Now in its third week, the lockout has forced many players to head overseas to play on month-to-month contracts. Others who are eligible to play at the lower levels opened training camp last week with American Hockey League affiliates.