We live in a protein-crazy society. We seem to think that the more protein we consume, the healthier we will be.
While different theories exist, the amount of protein we actually need is probably far less than what we think, and excessive amounts of it may do more harm to our body.
The amount of protein recommended per day is based on a person’s weight.
For someone who weights 175 pounds, the recommended amount of daily protein would be approximately 64 grams.
Examples of amounts of protein in our food are:
- 3 oz. piece of meat = 21g protein
- 8 oz. glass of milk = 8g protein
- 1 egg or ¼ cup egg whites = 7g protein
- 1 cup Greek yogurt = 15g protein
- ½ cup beans = 7g protein
- 1 cup whole wheat pasta = 7g protein