SYCAMORE – A Sycamore man who pleaded guilty almost two years ago to sexually abusing a teenage boy was sentenced Wednesday to 13 years in prison.
Rudy Salazar, 57, of the 700 block of Park Avenue in Sycamore, pleaded guilty in July 2010 to two counts of criminal sexual assault, a Class 1 felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison.
Salazar was charged in April 2009 with sexually abusing a teenage boy. The abuse happened between February and April 2009, when the boy reported it to the police, police said.
Prosecutors said at the time of his plea that Salazar initially had the boy do odd jobs around his property. As time went on, the relationship became sexual and included sex acts and explicit text messages from Salazar to the boy.
No sentence had been agreed upon as part of the plea in 2010.
During Wednesday’s sentencing hearing, Charles Colburn, the Springfield-based appellate prosecutor appointed to the case, presented Presiding Judge Robbin Stuckert with a letter from the mother of the victim in the case.
Additionally, the accuser in a separate case against Salazar testified that he met Salazar when he was 10, in 1998, and quickly began spending a lot of time with him. Salazar was the mentor of a friend and he was friendly, the accuser testified.
After about two weeks, their contact became physical, he said, and he frequently performed sex acts with Salazar. The contact continued for five years, until the accuser was 15.
The Daily Chronicle does not name potential victims of sexual abuse offenses.
In that case, Salazar faces four counts of predatory criminal sexual assault, a Class X felony punishable by up to 30 years in prison, and four counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse, a Class 2 felony punishable by up to seven years in prison.
Colburn argued for a sentence of 10 years for each count, calling Salazar’s actions some of the most serious the court deals with.
“They were occurrences that happened over multiple periods of time, they were ongoing ... This is a true predator, this defendant, involved with multiple young people,” he said.
Salazar’s attorney, Glenn Jazwiec, asked for the minimum sentence of four years per count, since Salazar had only minor traffic offenses prior to the charges brought against him in 2009. He also argued that Salazar’s age should be considered.
Stuckert said the minimum sentences would not be appropriate, based on the activity that occurred over a period of years. Salazar was a mentor to children, preyed on young men and abused them, she said.
She sentenced Salazar to two six-and-a-half-year terms in the Illinois Department of Corrections, totaling 13 years, with credit for two days he spent in the county jail. The prison terms must be served consecutively and at 85 percent, according to the state’s truth-in-sentencing requirements.
Salazar is required to register as a sex offender for life and will serve a term of parole that could be as little as three years or up to his natural life, Stuckert said.
Salazar will next appear in court Aug. 17 as proceedings continue on the second case.