ZION – Authorities say part of a northern Illinois community was evacuated as hazardous fumes broke out from a fire at a plastics facility.
No injuries were reported Sunday.
Crews were called to Maine Plastics in Zion around 7 a.m. after reports of smoke. Officials say it was elevated to a three-alarm fire by 9 a.m. Pallets containing plastics products and cardboard were on fire inside a gated area.
Zion Fire Chief John Lewis says the plastic contains acetol, a chemical that gives off formaldehyde. He says an evacuation was ordered in the vicinity. The evacuation was canceled by noon.
The company’s website says it’s a buyer and seller of plastics, metals and uncommon materials.
Zion is about 50 miles north of Chicago.